Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Bright Side of Working Full-Time

Today, I'm choosing to look on the bright side. It helps that it's sunny outside. And the bright side isn't that I come home a better mother because I did grown-up things that challenge my brain all day. Although that helps, too. Sometimes.

My mother-in-law (who is a teacher and watching our daughter for the summer) texted a photo of my daughter to me while I'm at the office. I told my husband that it made me both happy and sad. My gut reaction was, "I should be there. I should be the one taking care of her." Bummer, right? But just seeing her face made me happy.

This morning, my husband asked me to keep our daughter up late tonight so that he could see her after work. He's been missing time with her because of his odd and long hours.

We both feel like we don't get nearly enough time with her. But maybe the bright side to it is that we have this (not-fun) feeling to bond over. We both feel the same way. We don't compete over who misses her more. We connect.

That's good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment