Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Oh, Dave

Mornin, mamas.

Last week, my husband's parents took us to see Dave Matthews Band in concert as a gift for my husband's birthday.

I've been singing Dave songs in my head ever since. Maybe the contact high hasn't gone away yet.

After listening to "Belly Belly Nice" last night and looking up the lyrics, I legit googled the phrase "Why is Dave Matthews so perverted?" I mean, come on, do I really have to talk about the lyrics to "Crash" here? Sex is EVERYWHERE in his songs. And it's cool. Maybe made it a little weird to be singing all the songs with my mother in law, father in law, brother in law and sister in law, but if my husband and I were there alone we would have been serenading each other all night.

Gross, I know.

Anyway, this innocent search turned up some interviews with Dave and I read them and I loved them. (Here's one) His strangeness comes through just like it does in his songs and in his concerts. He speaks like anyone else for the majority of the time, then all of a sudden his syntax and phrasing goes off the wall and profane. And I love it. He's so fuckin' weird and it's fantastic. And for some reason, I'm not the only oddball who loves the guy.

So my lesson was this: If he can be as strange as he pleases, why can't I?

The song that's been stuck in my head: "Make the most of what you've got/ Don't waste time trying to be something you're not/ Fill up your head/ Fill up your heart and take your shot"

"Don't waste time trying to be something you're not."

No comments:

Post a Comment