Sunday, July 27, 2014

Brown Sugar and Peaches: What Weekend Dreams Are Made Of

I had just gotten my daughter down for her nap yesterday, when I read this text from my sweet-as-can-be mother-in-law, who was hosting brunch for the family today.

"Think you'll have time to make that coffee cake again?"

Sure, I said, sure.

You see, it's just so easy. AND I had just bought 8oz of sour cream at the grocery store, without a particular use for it in mind.

So thank you, Cindy Harris of San Antonio, Texas, and Taste of Home, for this recipe.

I skipped the glaze and added 1 whole peach, diced, after combining the wet and dry ingredients. I also didn't find it necessary to alternate the sour cream and flour additions.
I used 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg instead of the whole teaspoon. Just because I haven't cooked with nutmeg all that much and I was a little nervous about the strong taste. But it wasn't strong, just enhanced the cake.

But come on, y'all. It's so simple. And so wonderful to fill your house with the smell of a cinnamon streusel warm from the oven. And then you get to the inside and it's all moist and peachy.




This was the second time I've made it, the first was with blueberries instead of peaches. Equally wonderful. I love adding fruit.

Gotta go. If you need me, I'll be dreaming about the piece I managed to save for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment