Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Welcome, Beautiful Ruby

It's a girl! Another beautiful girl. I asked my husband if he'd be happy if we only ever had girls, because it seems that's all that my family is capable of having.

My third niece, Ruby, was born yesterday afternoon. My brother called while I was busy at work and left a message: "Hey, guess who's here?"

I called as soon as I could, and asked him to tell me everything. I could hear the new baby's cries in the background. He asked, "So does that sound like a boy or a girl cry?"

I answered, "Girl," not thinking that it would be borderline insulting if it were a little boy.
My dad is excited, but no doubt a little bummed that it's not finally the boy he'd been hoping for. Four grandchildren in two years, all of them girls. He wants someone to carry on the family name. He wants a little boy to teach his fishing and hunting ways while he still (sort of) can. 

I'm excited about this next generation of our family, a generation of strong little girls, strong future women. Maybe some of them will pass on their own names. 

My husband said of course he would be happy if we had only girls. Seeing photos of Ruby have me excited for our next baby. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that part of me wants to be like Michele Duggar and just have baby after baby for the next 20 years. But the sane part of me (read: my husband) says no.

No comments:

Post a Comment