Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Oh Hello, Heirloom Tomatoes!

I stopped at the grocery store for my husband tonight on my way home from work. I was embarrassingly excited about the heirloom tomatoes on display ($2.79 a pound) and decided that while he could eat the Velveeta shells and cheese he so craved, I was gettin' a tomato salad. Hell yeah.



I decided to keep it simple, let the beautiful tomatoes stand out. I grabbed a package of fresh basil, fresh mozzarella pearls (lotsa mozza), and some white balsamic vinegar to mix with the olive oil I have in my cupboard.
I mean, look how beautiful these are inside:

What's wonderful about not using a recipe is that you can make this exactly what you want it to be. Use four medium-to-large tomatoes like I did, with just one package of pearls, 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil and 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar, a light coating of salt and pepper, and just three large leaves of basil (about 1 tablespoon chopped). If you LOVE cheese, use one less tomato, or add another half-package of the mozz. Same idea: Basil lovers, go crazy.
I even liked the way it tasted without salt and pepper, but just a light sprinkling of each made the other flavors pop. The first time I made it, I sprinkled salt and pepper on top of the tomatoes, and the second time (cause I had to make it again, this time to share with the family) I mixed the salt and pepper right in with the vinegar and oil in a separate bowl before adding to the salad.
Lastly, if you possibly can stand it, let it sit for a half hour before eating. The dressing will soak into the mozzarella and coat the tomatoes nicely.


Another note: On 2nd making, I chopped the tomatoes a little smaller. Better for sharing. And for me eating less and creating a mountain of acid in my throat. Just sayin'.



Heirloom Tomato Salad

4 medium to large tomatoes, chopped
1 package (8 oz.) fresh mozzarella pearls
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 fresh basil leaves, chopped

It's as simple as mixing the ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss to coat; let stand for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment